Two-time World BMX Champion Shanaze Reade is out of action for four months following an injury to her right shoulder sustained recently in training. Shanaze picked up the injury on May 16 when she fell off her bike after riding over a loose stone on the track and landing on the same shoulder she injured two years ago.

Medical scans showed that the recent fall exacerbated an old injury and surgeons have recommended a keyhole procedure to fully identify and fix the problem. As a result, Shanaze will be unable to defend her World Champion title in Australia in July, which she has held for two years.

The injury will also prevent her from competing in the forthcoming UCI Mountain Bike World Cup, held at Fort William in Scotland on 6-7 June, an event which would have meant Shanaze had competed at world-class standard in three disciplines – BMX, Track and Mountain Bike.

Shanaze commented: “I’m very disappointed that I can’t race at the BMX World’s this year. I really wanted to get out there and defend my title. I’m also disappointed that I can’t make my mountain bike debut in the 4-cross at the World Cup. My focus now is on recovery and getting back into training as soon as I can, so I can begin my preparations for London 2012.”